SAVE THE DATE
BSL Conference 2024
We are thrilled to announce the upcoming British Sign Language (BSL) Conference in 2024, a gathering aimed at celebrating and advancing BSL rights and awareness at Manchester on 26th April 2024.
The 2024 conference, titled "Early Years: The Benefits of Introducing Sign Language to Deaf Children", addresses the profound impact of early exposure to sign language on cognitive development and communication skills. By fostering inclusivity, enhancing literacy, promoting positive identity, and supporting educational success, the conference aims to highlight the importance of early sign language intervention for the mental health and overall well-being of deaf children.
Mark your calendars to be a part of this inspiring event that highlights the significance of BSL in our community and beyond. The conference will be held at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate, located at 303 Deansgate, M3 4LQ. We look forward to your participation and support!
What are the aims of the BSL Conference?
The BDA Conference 2024, themed "Early Years: The Benefits of Introducing Sign Language to Deaf Children", aims to:
- Promote Awareness and Understanding: Raise consciousness about the benefits of early sign language introduction for deaf children among a diverse audience including parents, educators, and policymakers.
- Highlight Positive Outcomes: Demonstrate the significant impact of early sign language on the cognitive, linguistic, emotional, and social development of deaf children.
- Share Research and Best Practices: Offer a platform for disseminating current research and effective strategies in early sign language intervention.
- Advocate for Policy Change: Champion policy reforms and educational curricula that incorporate early sign language education and Deaf culture, aiming to influence government policies towards better inclusion of BSL.
- Empower Stakeholders: Equip parents, educators, and professionals with knowledge and tools to support Deaf children's growth, promoting bilingualism and inclusivity.
- Foster Collaboration: Bring together various stakeholders, from Deaf communities to policymakers, to jointly enhance the well-being and success of Deaf children.
- Contribute to Deaf Rights: Support the global initiative to acknowledge and protect Deaf children's rights, in line with the Declaration on the Rights of Deaf Children.
This conference is a critical step towards driving positive change, education, and advocacy in support of Deaf children, ensuring their access to essential linguistic and cultural resources. It underlines the crucial role of early sign language exposure in the comprehensive development of Deaf individuals.
REBECCA MANSELL & TOM LICHY
BDA’s Early Years Position Statement: Why are the BDA launching this campaign?
DR JOSEPH MURRAY
Recognising national sign languages rights to ensure the inclusion of deaf people from a linguistic minority perspective.
DR JOANNA HOSKIN & LENKA NOVAKOVA
Language Therapy in BSL.
DR KATIE ROGERS & PROF ALYS YOUNG
Evidence review of the impact of the lack of BSL in early years on deaf children’s health & wellbeing.
DR ROBERT ADAM
Systems and policy reforms.
DANI SIVE & CATHERINE DREW
What do Deaf children need to be ‘school ready’?
Parent of Deaf Child
DR EMMA FERGUSON-COLEMAN
Hilton Manchester Deansgate
The BSL Conference 2024 will be held at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate. The venue is spacious in the main room with lots of space for multiple screens, ensuring good visibility for all delegates.
Click here to take a virtual tour of the venue.
Book tickets now
Become a Sponsor
Support the BSL Conference 2024 and showcase your commitment to the deaf community. Partner with us for unique visibility and to make a meaningful impact. Download our Sponsorship Pack to explore all sponsorship opportunities and benefits.