FUNDRAISE FOR THE BDA - IDEAS AND TIPS
Each year, the BDA supports thousands of Deaf adults and children, working closely with them to ensure that they are treated as equal citizens and have the same life chances as hearing people. Much of this work would not be possible without your generosity and enthusiasm in fundraising for the BDA.
All of our supporters are very special to us and we’ll do everything we can to help you achieve your fundraising goals, enabling even more Deaf children and adults to access much-needed support from across the UK. There are many fun and easy ways in which you can help the BDA to achieve this, the options are as limitless as your imagination
- Jumble Sale – get the feel good factor in clearing those unwanted possessions that have been gathering dust, such as books, CDs and toys, and sell them on eBay, take them to car boot sale or organise a jumble sale and feel even better in knowing the proceeds will help a change a Deaf person’s life.
- Cut It Out – Most of us have a fondness for something that we probably shouldn’t - chocolate, alcohol, cigarettes! Make your body your temple for a month and get people to sponsor you for your personal challenge.
- Come Dine With Me – Have fun with your friends by taking turns to cook a 3-course meal, and donate what you each think your dinners would be worth in restaurant.
- Do a Sky Dive – One for the thrill seekers to tick off from their bucket-list whilst raising funds for the BDA.
- A Bake-Off Cake Sale – Challenge your friends as to who can bake the finest cakes and then organise a cake sale to provide the proof in the pudding as to who is the best!
- Sponsored Bike Ride – Blow away those cobwebs - Brighton to London, London to Paris and Ride London are just some of the cycling challenges you can do to get into shape whilst raising sponsorship to help Deaf adults and children get the support they need.
- Coffee Morning – a classic way of getting people together and socialising to raise awareness of Deafness and funds for the BDA’s work.
- The Brave Shave – make an attention grabbing statement and shave off your hair or that much loved beard for sponsorship money. Why not video or photograph the event for maximum attention on social media?
- Run Like the Wind – There are plenty of sponsored running events, fun or serious, to choose from across the UK to suit your level and your ambition whilst raising funds for the BDA.
- Play to your strengths and imagination – is there something you love doing that you could do to raise funds? Are you an artist and want to organise a sale of your work? Do you want to do a swim-a-thon or want to organise a hike across the Pennine Way with friends?
Whatever your idea, please contact the fundraising team at the BDA at FRAdmin@bda.org.uk or on 0207 697 4140 and we will be happy to advise and help as much as we can to make your goal a reality.
Promoting your event
- Upload a profile picture and upload pictures of you training or getting ready for your challenge – using pictures increases fundraised totals by 23%!
- Use the page summary to tell your story of why you are supporting the BDA – personalising your page in this way can increase fundraised income by up to 36%.
- Use your page to involve and inspire others to join you in your event to increase the money raised and to have great memories to share.
- Sharing your JustGiving page on your social media pages and getting friends and family to share is a great way to spread the word.
- Keeping everyone updated on your progress by posting regularly and sharing updates is a great way of keeping your efforts at the forefront of everyone’s mind.
- Celebrating your achievements – let the world know that you’ve done it! Around 20% of donations happen once an event is completed.
Collecting Sponsorship Money
The easiest way to collect sponsorship is to sign-up to the BDA’s JustGiving page and to encourage your sponsors to give to your fundraising event online.
JustGiving is an easy and simple way of collecting sponsorship via a recognised and highly trusted and reputable source. Using the JustGiving page you can:
- Set your own target and monitor donations received against your target in real time!
- Forget about the need for sponsorship forms or handling and sending in cash – the BDA immediately receives all the funds.
- Relax about Gift-aiding your sponsorship donations – JustGiving makes sure sponsors who qualify gift-aid their donations.
For events where it is more practical or easier to collect cash donations, please download and use the BDA's Sponsorship Form to help you record and collect sponsorship and also to help keep a record of which donations have been gift aided.