Advocacy is for when you:
- feel that people are not listening to what you want;
- when you feel you have been treated unfairly;
- or when you feel that you haven’t been involved in decisions that affect your life.
The BDA’s Advocates will support you in various ways; helping you find out information, explore options and encouraging you to decide for yourself what you want to do.
How advocacy could help you
Advocacy is about working with individuals through a difficult situation. Advocates can help you stand up for your rights and can support you to:
- Express your own wishes and choices
- Develop confidence to tell services if you are satisfied or dissatisfied with how you were treated
- Collect and understand information, ensuring that you are aware of the choices and the possible consequences of those choices.
- Introduce you to other people who may be able to help you
- Advocates can go with you to meetings and help you gain control of the situation
- You attend a GP appointment, but the GP Surgery has failed to book a British Sign Language interpreter, despite repeated requests.
- You would like to complain, but you are not sure how.
- Our BDA Advocate will meet with you and explain your right to have a fully qualified and registered BSL interpreter during your appointment with your GP.
- Together we will go through the options available to you; you may want to re-book your appointment and make a written request for a BSL interpreter to be booked; or you may want to make an official complaint.
- When you decide which option you want to pursue, our BDA Advocate will support you throughout the process.
Our service is confidential except in circumstances when people’s safety is at risk or a crime is involved.
We can meet you at a place of your choosing. That could be at home, at a coffee shop – wherever you feel most comfortable or safe.
If you would like more information, use the contact option in the main menu above and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
MEET THE ADVOCACY TEAM
Meet the Advocacy Teams around the UK