A text transcript of BSL video presented by Dr Terry Riley OBE - BDA Chair:
- Deaf awareness amongst Disability Assessors and Call Centre staff.
- How to work with individuals from the deaf community, including awareness of the types of language choice available. It would be wrong to assume that BSL (British Sign Language) is the only practical communication mode for all deaf people, which is not true. For example, some use sign language, some use lip-reading or writing, some use feeling the hands when signing for ushers or deaf-blind, and many to mention.
- Training to include a deaf person to give insight into the life of the deaf individual, the culture of the deaf community, etc.
- How to work with a deaf individual when using an interpreter.
- BDA will work with Capita to review/input and give feedback.